Bubble tea, also known as boba tea, is a popular Taiwanese tea-based drink that is often served with chewy tapioca balls or “boba”. Here is an overview of how you can make bubble or boba tea:
- Black tea or green tea bags
- Tapioca pearls (boba)
- Milk or creamer (optional)
- Sugar or honey (optional)
- Cook the tapioca pearls: Follow the instructions on the package to cook the tapioca pearls. Usually, you need to boil the pearls for about 20-30 minutes until they are soft and chewy. After they are cooked, drain and rinse them with cold water to prevent them from sticking together.
- Brew the tea: Brew the black or green tea according to the package instructions. Add sugar or honey to sweeten if desired. Let the tea cool down.
- Add milk or creamer: If you like your bubble tea creamy, you can add milk or creamer to the tea.
- Prepare the glass: Add a handful of ice to a tall glass. You can also add some of the cooked tapioca pearls to the bottom of the glass if you like.
- Combine the tea and tapioca pearls: Pour the cooled tea into the glass and mix in the cooked tapioca pearls.
- Enjoy: Use a wide straw to sip up the tea and the boba pearls.
Variations: You can experiment with different tea flavors, such as jasmine or fruit teas, and different types of milk or creamers, such as almond milk or coconut milk. You can also add fruit syrups, such as strawberry or mango, or fruit chunks, such as lychee or passionfruit, to give the bubble tea more flavor and texture.